At the risk of being accused of having a peculiar penchant for the macabre, I have to share that one of the coolest things about living on former farmland in a community that has the utmost respect for the dead is that we have, in our subdivision, our own piece of history...a cemetery housing the bodies of seven former souls from the 1800's. Rather than desecrate the graves of these farmers, wives and children, by moving their final resting places to another burial ground, the builders decided to dedicate a plot of park land to memorialize these people who lived here way before we did and leave the graves as is.
I love this little cemetery and though I do not know the people who lie here or their full history, I have the privilege of visiting their graves and saying a prayer for their souls. It reminds me that our journey here on earth is short and time, fleeting. We must make the most of what we've got while we're here.
 |
The grave sites of Ezekiel Lamb and his wife, Priscilla...originally of Vermont.
I wonder how and why they came to Idaho? |
 |
| This is the tombstone for Nina McGinnis. She was only 13 years old when she passed away. A daughter just a bit younger than my oldest son, Nate...I can't imagine the pain of a young child passing. |
 |
This site is the final resting place for George T. Nisbet and his brother Samuel.
They share a tombstone (but I'm assuming not a tomb).
This obelisk is interesting in that it is leaning quite a bit, as if a good stiff wind could knock it over. |
 |
| This is the last of the large tombstones with legible names on it and it belongs to Fred Heslop. There are two other headstones next to Fred's which are really not much larger than stones and there is no carving on them. I wonder if their families could't afford bigger pieces of marble and the hand chiseling of the names. I am not really sure who the smaller "rocks" (not pictured) belong to. |
For more information on this tiny cemetery and the bodies that have taken their eternal rest on this patch of God's green earth, see:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=2262697 and
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GScid=2262697
No comments:
Post a Comment