This year, because the weather cooperated, I was able to go a little bigger this year on the holiday decorating. It was dicey for a while, but it finally did stop raining two days before All Hallows Eve. With the amount of small kids that come trick-or-treating in the neighborhood, I thought it prudent to not do the creepy or spooky things I have in the past, instead focusing on a kid-friendly "Pumpkin Party" theme. Here's what it looked like:
![]() |
It looks like I spent a fortune, but in reality, I did not. If you're a penny-pincher like me, here are some ideas for Halloween decorating on the cheap...
![]() |
| Hang inexpensive plastic pumpkins from a tree...for an added effect, add battery-operated lights (you can pick these up from the dollar store) |
![]() |
| Mr. DeVille, I'm ready for my close up. |
![]() |
| Light-up eyes that seemingly follow you made from dollar store bowls and battery operated lights, a piece of black foam core and irises downloaded for free from the internet and printed at home. |
Other cheap finds include:
- Rope lights from WalMart
- Uplight stakes with flood lights from WalMart (the stakes are usually less expensive than the lights but do cost a bit more than I would normally spend...however, they can be used for a VERY long time and for multiple holidays)
- Plastic lighted Jack O'Lanterns...they cost about the same as a real pumpkin but last so much longer!
- Playing Halloween-themed music outside...it's amazing how much a soundtrack can add to the ambiance.
The key is to keep it simple but do it "large"...well placed lights and multiples of something make a bigger impact than lots of little decor...remember, it's dark and most people won't even see the small stuff, so don't sweat the small stuff. :-)





No comments:
Post a Comment