Friday, March 23, 2012

Phew! It's been one heck of a ride!

Ok, so I've been a little behind on updating the blog...for good reason.  In January, I accepted a part-time, temporary job-share assistant business manager position (yes, that was a mouthful) at my oldest son's high school.  While the hours should have allowed me ample time to keep up with website/blog maintenance, unfortunately, the stretch of the brain cells which have been inactive since I was an accountant eons ago has left me completely and utterly exhausted.  Until now.  I'm two months into the job and I am finding that, though I am still treading water and not quite swimming, I'm at least not in danger of sinking under.  The people I work with are kind and patient and the environment is a healthy one...of course, it is not devoid of the usual office politics but, unlike my brief stint with the notorious accounting firm, Arthur Andersen, the culture is full of ethics and centered firmly on the mission of Christ.  Yay!

I'm also finally closing in on finding a primary care doctor...I know, I know...eight months is way too long to be without a physician.  I did have a rheumatologist here (she took me 3 months to find and I really, REALLY liked her) but one week before my second appointment, I found out that she suddenly left the practice of medicine.  Now, I have to start that whole process again.  St. Alphonsus, pray for me! (He's the patron saint of arthritis patients, just in case you didn't know...oh, and the name sake of the Catholic hospital and medical system here in the Treasure Valley...how's that for coincidence).   I did find another rheumatologist through St. Luke's (the Lutheran medical system) but she will need to review my case first and maybe in two weeks I'll be able to schedule an appointment to see her in August.  Yep, August.   Hopefully, I'll be able to get my new primary care physician to renew my Enbrel prescription before it runs out next month!  Or, maybe I'll just ask for a cure through St. Alphonsus' intercession.

The weather here has been interesting.  Getting snow so late in the season means that many of the ski resorts will stay open a little later than normal.  March 19th, one day before Spring hit, was a decently warm day...temps in the upper 50's.  But, the first day of Spring was greeted with snow.  Yesterday, a day into the season of growth saw clear skies and temps nearing Southern California norms...a balmy high of 62 degrees F.  It was awesome.  However, fast forward to today and now we have rain and lower temps again. I can't ever figure out how to dress.  I'm thinking I now know what the concept of a "commuter coat" is...it's a coat you always keep in your car, just in case the weather gets all psycho on you.

Last weekend we attended our first BK Irish Fest.  I've never seen it happen, but even Carl got a little Irish on him and put a green ribbon on his hat.  How's that for a dedicated "I hate the ND Irish and anything remotely related to them" Trojan boy?!?!  I donated a rosary made from sterling silver and bloodstone which was blessed by my favorite priest at our parish.  I was so pleased that the school's Booster Club took in $145 from the silent auction of the rosary.  I'll make another next year...and maybe a couple of rosary bracelets in school colors, too.

The boys are fighting all sorts of colds this year...I'm chalking it up to being exposed to a new climate and ecosystem.  Damien has been officially diagnosed with asthma and coughs ALL. THE.  TIME.  except when's he's sleeping.  We've been working hard to manage the symptoms but the many colds are making it difficult for Damien to suppress the coughing for good.  Luckily, though, he is not allergic to the many pollens one can find in Idaho.

Nate is thankful to have had the opportunity to wrestle this year but has pretty much decided that he is "one and done."  For him, it was too much effort for too little reward.  He might try golf next year.  We shall see.  We are all happy that wrestling season is over so now he can concentrate on scouting...becoming an Eagle scout is still his goal.  He is also thankful to have more time to delve deeper into his studies for Confirmation and not have to feel so rushed.

We all realized this week that it has been nearly a full year since our house sold (April 14th marks the one year anniversary of the sale).  Time flies where you're...uhm...busy.  And having fun.  We are immensely enjoying our new digs though we sometimes feel the pangs of distance, missing all of our family and friends in So. Cal.

Anyway, thus end the highlights from Smurfville.

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment