We've only been in Idaho for 3 1/2 months and it astounds me that I could become so busy in such a short time. I went from knowing two people, twiddling my thumbs, wondering what I was going to do with myself in our new community and actually looking forward to being anonymous for a while. I didn't have to wonder long. Having kids makes it much easier to insert yourself into a new life. For example, because there was a deep discount for participating parishioners at Damien's school, I quickly joined the choir at our new parish and became a psalmist. Nate is being confirmed this year so, not to be ones to sit on the sidelines, especially since we used to run a Confirmation program, Carl and I are teaching weekly Bible studies to teens and presenting one of the Confirmation classes in November. Nate's interest in scouting has Carl volunteering with a new troop. Assistance was needed at Nate's high school with a project that will have all student records (from the time the school was begun in 1964) digitized, so I signed up for that task. Oh, and the BK Band mom needed help, as did the school Mass choir director, so I'm taking on some duties there, too. The only extra thing that didn't require us having kids to get involved in was getting an Trojan alumni club started here in Boise so we had a community of people to watch the games with...but, as Carl says, USC is family so I guess it's kind of like the same thing (and, yes, from that USC connection comes another volunteer opportunity with the American Heart Association at their November luncheon).
I'm not sure I like being this industrious (I'm gone from home so much that in fact that Sierra is starting to wonder who I am)...but it's what I do best. I get bored so easily and just can't sit still for too long. At least when the weather turns ugly around here, I'll be glad for the slow down. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment