Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Sarrazollas in Surfville

Nope, that's not a typo...we are actually in Surfville (in Oceanside, CA and 750 feet from the water's edge, to be exact). We are here to celebrate the holidays with family and friends and to wish the Sarrazolla matriarch congratulations for seven decades of a marvelous life (Happy Birthday, Gabriella!). As selfish as it is, we are thrilled that we won't be missing our first white Christmas while here in sunny SoCal (Idaho is in a persistent dry weather pattern that is not expected to abate until maybe after the holidays). We have acclimated so much to the colder climate in Boise that today's high temperatures along the beach, hovering around 65 degrees F, felt a bit too warm. My oldest son strutted in shorts, well...he ALWAYS wears shorts...but took the opportunity to go without his wrestling sweat jacket for a change. I simply baked this afternoon in my turtleneck and thin sweater (alas, I forgot what warm felt like so all I brought were turtlenecks and sweaters...really, isn't winter supposed to be cold?!?).

I have to be honest. I feel like I'm living a Twilight Zone episode. A place I called home for 44 years doesn't really feel like home anymore. Everything is intimately familiar and strangely vague all at the same time. Certain sights bring feelings of connectiveness yet I can't help but think that I don't belong here...that this is not home. Well, actually, I guess it's not home. We are native aliens, foreigners in a land where we grew up. Places I used to perceive as spacious are not as uncrowded as I once believed. Even the sky seems smaller and cluttered here. Adding to the Rod Serling moment is picking up with people I visit as if we haven't missed a beat...like 6 months are as 6 minutes and we haven't been apart at all. It's mind-bending, comforting and humbling at the same time. It makes me realize in a very concrete way that regardless of changes in environment, love really does transcend distance and time.

Well, leaving the deep thoughts for a moment, let me tell you a little about the beginnings of our heavily anticipated vacation. We took a two days to drive down the I-15,passing through five states in all (ID, UT, AZ, NV, CA) Our first stop: Cedar City, UT...which didn't have much to offer (we did arrive on a Sunday night, in a very religious, "we-roll-up-our-sidewalks-and-don't-work-on-the-Lord's-Day" town, afterall). Not much, except for snow on the ground, beautiful, sparkly, non-icy snow. I do believe we were the only guests in the KOA and arriving after 5 pm and leaving before 7 a.m., we never did see anyone that worked there. That was just fine with us because we really only wanted a place to rest our road-weary bodies for the night. Leaving the next morning, we got a taste of what winter actually looks like. It is gray and white and exquisite (maybe I'd feel differently if I had to see it all the time). I've never seen a landscape, hibernating and so desolate yet magnificent.

In contrast, we are staying at the Paradise by the Sea RV Resort in Oceanside, a "glamp-ground" I've driven by hundreds of times when taking the boys to preschool but never ever really noticed. It's a quaint and friendly place nestled behind Buccaneer Bay Park between the railroad tracks and Pacific Coast Highway. We've already met the owners and been invited to several events being held in the park club house, including a Christmas party. When we come to San Diego County for a visit again, this will be top on our list of places to stay. Downtown Oceanside is a short walk away (well, short for those who like to walk or who don't have kids whining about how mean you are to make them walk to much). I am impressed to how Oceanside is putting on a beautiful face...it is my fervent hope that the beauty is not only going skin-deep but that this gem of a beach town is cleaning up its soul, maturing into a safe place for all to visit. As much as Carlsbad wants to brag, I think O-side has much more to offer...more character, more eateries, more beach, more shops, more entertainment, more, well, everything (good and bad).

In the two days we've been here, we've finished our Christmas shopping and have already visited some friends and family. We are looking forward to the next 7 days of feasting and festivalling (yes, I know that's not a word, but you get the point so don't sue me).

If I don't get a chance to update the blog in the next week, I want to wish you and most blessed Christmas season and a joyous New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment